Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Explaining the Absence

I haven't posted anything in about a month, and I thought I would give a bit of an explanation (because I'm sure you've been at the edge of your seat waiting for the next post from some random blog of a 17 year old =D). Despite the huge amount of political action lately, few, if any news headlines have really remained prominent in my mind. This usually occurs because most of the time, my commentary would only serve some supplementary, forgone conclusion i.e., "Hillary wins New Hampshire!" or something along those lines. During my absence from political commentary, for no real reason or compulsion, I began writing just plainly my thoughts on random events that stuck out in my mind. I decided that I would post these essays on my blog. 


Reception would be wonderful (read: tell me if you care or not) =D.


"Death's Clarity."


Humans have a curious (and also very cruel) nature to them when faced with the death of someone close to us. We realize the positive side of this loved one-acts of sacrificial love-and other general good and decent qualities which typify the human experience. What remains curious about this strange coping mechanism lies in its lateness, in other words, we don't notice the redeeming qualities of a loved one until they leave us. This very feeling happened to me just a year ago. A friend, who probably should have been closer, died, and before his horrifically untimely death I never recognized his random acts of kindness and genial demeanor towards everyone. I only noticed certain characteristics that grated on my nerves.

Situations such as these seem to weave the very fabric of tragedy.


No comments: